Glassmaking Classes : NEXT CLASSES: Nov-Dec. Pre register please. Dropins welcome if we have space. Classes run from a few minutes to an hour or two. Pieces can be picked up next day or mailed for a fee.
Minimum of 4 students per class session. Contact us through email then sign up for a class. : email@example.com Class listings are below. No experience necessary for most classes. More than one class per day can be arranged.
What to bring/wear to class (Very Important)
- All clothing must be cotton
- Long pants (No shorts will be allowed)
- Closed-tipped shoes (i.e. tennis shoes)
- Long-sleeved cotton shirt Optional– no billowy sleeves
- Hat or headband
- Long hair should be pulled back securely
1.Child Glassmaking Class #1: Paperweight: Ages 5 -11 Experience the heat of the hot furnace, reaching in to gather glass, roll the glass in color, reheat in the glory hole, then place the molten glass into a form to create a beautiful paperweight. $20
2. Glassmaking Class #2: Hearts: Ages 5 -11
HeartMaking: In this class you will use the skills as in Class #1 but this time make a pretty glass molded heart. You will make a small and large heart. $20
3.Mold Making Floral or Fish Paperweight
4.Glass Sculpturing 1/Clear glass Ages 13 +
Experience the heat of the
furnace(2200 degrees), gather hot glass, marver(shape) the glass, gather glass again, then stretch, shape and pull the glass as instructed to form1 or more glass flower sculptures. $26.00
5.Glass Sculpturing 2/Colored glass Ages 13+
Class as above using colored glass. 1 flower sculpture (must have taken the previous class)
$26 per person
Beginner Classes Teens +
6.Free form Paperweight Making 1 : Pre requisite previous sculpting classes #6 and #7:(Working by yourself with instructor) An introduction to techniques and skills such as gathering, centering, jacking, blocking, and marvering along with instruction in proper shop etiquette and use of tools.
Experience the heat of the furnace (2200 degrees), gathering molton glass,
learnto marver (shape) the glass, then form the glass into a ball at the end of the stainless steel rodto form your own paperweight.
- An introduction to glassblowing
machines, tools of the trade and proper shopetiquette
- Create and keep your paperweight: (results may vary)
$45 per student
7.Paperweight Making 2: 1 + hrs
As above using color $80 for 2 paperweights
Prerequisites for the Glassblowing Class **
You must be able to
completethe following tasks before taking the Glassblowing I Class. These skills may be acquired in Beginner #1 and #1 Paperweight Classes.
- Take a clean gather of glass from the furnaceP1120333.JPG (310827)P1120337.JPG (262076)
- Marver or newspaper
- Use of Jacks
- Proper Heat Flashes
- Work with no gloves
- Center the piece on the pipe
- Break off the piece from the pipe
8.Glassblowing 1: Pumpkin Making
Using the skills learned above you will be using a hollow rod and after marvering and forming the glass properly you will blow into the glass forming a bubble and sequentially a glass form. You will make your own pumpkin with assistance.
9.Glassblowing 2: Pre-requisite Glassblowing 1
Blow glass on your own with assistance. Continuing as above but with less assistance in creating your own piece. Your choice of item made.
10. Glassblowing 3: More work in the studio working on the skills learned to create your choice of glass objects. $50 per hour. To be arranged.
11. Private lessons: Additional instruction in particular skills . Arrange.
- An introduction to glassblowing